The old British colonial administration building has recently been renovated and converted into the Archaeological Museum in Anuradhapura sacred city. It is situated between the Brazon palace and Ruwanwelisaya. The museum which was established in 1947 is a famous one among other Archaeological Museums in Sri Lanka. Also it is one of the oldest museums in the Cultural Triangle area in the country.
It has an interesting collection of antiquities found from various regions of Sri Lanka. Buddha statues, inscriptions, artwork, carvings and many other miscellaneous exhibits are in the collection. Among these, the large-scale model of Thuparama Dagoba’s Vatadage (circular relic house) as it might have been if a wooden roof had existed and a relic chamber found at Mihintale Kantaka Chetiya Dagoba are mostly loved antiquities.